Monday, July 7, 2008

Go Rafa, Espania - ole ole ole!

Right, excuzi for the double post but, I am reeling right now with stuff to say.

What a final, this is why we love tennis, this is why people spend hours on hours practising and what champions. Delirious.

So as I was happily watching the match(wimbledon final - Rafael Nadal vs. Roger Federer for those who're not so into it) with Rafa 2 sets up, he(Shaan) really sweetly calls and starts talking about the match, no hi hello. For a once-in-a-month chat friend it's quite nice that he knows, just assumes that I will (duh) be watching the game, and it's one of those moments when we're talking and I can hear the shouting and TV ads on his end of the line and in my living room as well. It's also ironical because there's no signal in the TV room and Il'l have to get up and go to the balcony to talk to him and he's like tie break and I'm like oh fuck no, call you back.. Its nice that he thinks of me you know? And its a foolproof thing, if you want to talk to a guy, follow the club he loves or watch the match he's watching.

Anyway, weird thing - both Rafas Uncle Tony and Mirka(Fed's gf) were sitting in same box. So both the players keep looking up at the same box and when Rafa gets an edge, Uncle gets up and starts yelling and when Fed wins a point, Mirka starts thumping the box and you can almost hear Tony cursing at the back. And did anyone notice a most Jude Law like person sitting on Mirkas eft? Was confused and then I spot Gwen (Stefani) on his left and look, its Gwen and Gavin! (oh man how I love Bush. Infact, first heard of the band, waaay before the president. ) Gavin was so into the game and Gwen was just like, 5 hours of my life, there they go, never to return. Mirka too, was really feeling it; usually she sits tight lipped (can't help it if the girl has thin lips) but she was all cringing and stuff and and when I saw her, I was like come on Rafa, you can't let Mirka take out her digi cam and click pictures of Roger making out with the trophy, again. (ok, mean, but you understand right, this moment has been five long, long years in the making.)

Also, just when Rafa is taking the lead, inching closer to championship point, and he can feel it, and the crowd feels it and you can feel it and you look at Federer's face and it's so rondu and for half a second you feel bad for him and then he goes and hits a winner, and you're like no, no Rafa, just wrap it up, close the deal, COME ON. And when Rafa got the break 8-7, Venus who was watching stood up and started clapping and I'm sitting stock still becasue I have this dumb jinx idea that if I move, it'll change the tides. 6-4, 6-4, 6-7, 6-7, 9-7, my god, what a match.

But Rafa won! And because the match went on so long, someone must have politely mumbled in Prince Philip's ear to keep it short, and so he didn't talk to any of the ball boys/girls forming the corridor as he usually does. 2 years back when he slaughtered Andy, he chatted with the ball girl for a good 5 minutes, the match was SUCH a no show, got over in like an hour and a half or something.

Also, I love the woman who interviews them after the ceremony, though this time she didn't address his highness Prince Philip, maybe cause the Prince and Princess of Spain where there was well? Who knows about the delicate matters of royal protocol? Regardless of the question she asks them, both of them say the same thing, first answer - say something funnyish, or rather self effacing, they'll laugh anyways and acknowledge the crowd. Second answer - say what a fantastic player your opponent was, how deserving, which seems all jolly but it's actually rubbing it in. Trust me.

And like the humble guy Federer is he starts taking a lap of honour, and everyone's like wtf? Sit quietly while Rafa does that. One thing though, if Fed's a rondu winner, he's a very graceful loser, that you have to hand to him. He tried very hard not to cry and he managed.

What a night. Whew, winding down slowly..

9 comments:

Arjun Sharma said...

What's rondu? And flokkar? Just random language?

What a match. I wanted to go wash some clothes. These bastards wouldn't let me. Sat for the whole thing.

Yes, I was fairly surprised when Federer took a lap of honour too. As though he's retiring and not coming back after this one. He will, though. Like a vengeful angel of death. Next year.

But well done, Mr. Nadal. You've done something great.

El said...

where, where is flokkar written?

rondu = cry baby. (like a bawling squelching baby)

wash clothes vis a vis watch a 5 setter final? seriously?

a million different people said...

I didn't see it live! Saw it in the morning. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Flokkar is one of the tags. Atleast, it was on the day I left the comment. Now it has vanished.

Come on, I had no clothes to wear to work today. I had to wash something. And these guys were playing for ages. They refused to break serve and kept holding on to their own.

I wouldn't have gone till the match ended. But they should seriously think about people who have jobs, lives, things to do.

El said...

Ha, yup that was in Icelandic. Me don't have job and and things nah..world won't notice if we're missing gor a day, unlike you atlas shrugged.

Perakath said...

Aaaaaarghhh... I missed it! Curse my decision to have broadband internet instead of television in my room. I read about it in the paper this morning instead. Argh argh argh.

Anonymous said...

damn it. how come all of you support rafa?

he'll take at least at least 5 more years to even come close to breaking bjorg's record. and even then, he might not even get there and just flicker out before that.

sheesh man. really wanted fedex to win this one and be done with all the records, once and for all.

Anonymous said...

'world won't notice if we're missing gor a day...'

To quote Alex Karev in Episode 13 of season 3 of "Grey's anatomy," I'd notice.


'unlike you atlas shrugged.'

I'm not that indispensable to the world, really. I am important, yes. But not that much. And that concludes today's lesson in modesty and self-effacement.

El said...

hehe, touche.