Monday, June 2, 2008

Riders in the storm, into this house we're born

~Gah, everyone is going on and on about their stupid internships but I'd decided to not do any of those. I mean aren't summer holidays supposed to be Riverdale-esque, with endless days of swimming and cold coffee or American Pie like with the partying and summer romances/getting laid-ness? When did this internship tamasha start? Especially if it's not going to help, you know Underemployment right? When 5 farmers can till the field but 7 are employed - that's exactly what internships are - either you have a big fancy contact somewhere and sit around in an AC office or you do some random type work with CSS or something. So got selected for 'Agenda for Survival', a course by CSE but chickened out, not sure why exactly, probaby am just plain lazy.

Anyway, got a little freaked because I'm indecisive and get convinced easily, and I'm starting something tomorrow, more on that later.

~Right, I'm not a rider, I'm a driver - my sister is but what with ferrying her up and down to the club, I sorta learnt as well and let me tell you I do a mean trot, ofcourse on some days the horse will refuse to move. My horse is Viktor (which is probably Victor as in the one that is victorious but I always think Viktor Krum) Anyway yesterday I just didn't feel like and we reached early, so like a true blue driver I took out the yellow kapda and started wiping the windsceen and windows, and then I opened the bonnet and fiddled around. And then, the driver in the Innova next to me took out his yellow kapda and we were polishing our cars together! Would have offered him a beedi and gone on to sit and play cards with him if I hadn't been summoned by the instructor and forced into riding, twas a good ride though.

But their names I tell you - Machinegun, Junglebaby, Topgun, Patience, Dollar, Ceasar, Leader and the Indian divas - Sundari, Usha, Nirmala, Meenakshi, Kajol, Anarkali...What would I name my horse? Zeus maybe, and my twin sons Alexander and Xerxes. You?

I remember vaguely going for horse racing in Turf Club Pune, sitting in those fantastic lawns with white picket fences and betting on horses called Desire and Destiny and fancy stuff like that.

But the ultimate relic of colonialism is in The Jorhat Gymkhana, betting there is like serious business. There's hordes and hordes of people who come for this annual gala - first the horses are kept in a ring and you inspect them and choose your which one you want to bet on, then go to the counter and put your money where your mouth is(just 10 rupeess for me.) The 'horses' are really ponies and the riders were barefoot in shorts. After every race there's a prize distribution and the owner is supposed to come collect the trophy and pose for a photograph. The Maaliks all wear dhotis and go to collect their prize in all seriousness and giggle but look staight ahead for the picture. Ofcourse the genteel society(mainly planters, no one famous sadly) come in hats and sat in the deck on top and have snacks and drinks. Much fun.

See riding is win-win, ek toh it's outside, and it's with animals and you know what they say, if you haven't loved an animal or had a garden, there's a part of you lying dormant that you'll never know. [/sermon]

17 comments:

Perakath said...

Ah, yeh hai woh wala post that I already commented on. Master Yoda and all.

Alexander and Xerxes? Xerxes was his horse, right? Or is this a Gladiator reference?

El said...

yup, thoda edited. Arre, xerxes was that persian king and was a sworn enemy of alexander.

update:wiki links

His horse was Bucephalus, yup read the Manfredi series, hence the obsession..

Perakath said...

Arrey-oh, sambha... such a display of ignorance *cringes*

El said...

hehe, trust me I didn't know Sikander from Kher(no, no)

but the books are the beginning and end of what I know..and since they're fantastically written, you sorta remeber stuff.

also, looks who's talking, you're a LECTURER for Zorro, and subtly show off your music gyaan. :D

a million different people said...

I'd name my pony Starkey. Actually, I thought of naming my baby elephant Starkey, but now it sounds so much better for a horse.

Now my baby elephant will be named Proust. And my meerkat shall be named Fink.

=)) I will go now and try to grow up.

Marvin said...

uff

you have word verification thing too?
this has necessitated a comment not on the post but on ignorance

no. no one is going to spam your blog with unwanted comments. please get rid of this contraption asap.

uff again
i have to use my gmail id to comment? what ARE you getting at? baap!

:|

errr...and zaphod was dumb man. i deserve better.

El said...

hehe,

Zaphod was also a hottie.

Hang on, not everyone has to go through that hoo-haah to comment..

you mean there's a way out of it?

*goes off to explore blogger*

Marvin said...

the skeleton's still in the closet.

need help?
:D

oh btw, i stuck you on my blog
don't mind!
(Y)

El said...

done, whew,

*feels like a genius.*

Thanks Zaphod for the elementary!chooses to ignore the implication and be all smiley :D)

ah, the thrill of checking ones blog from the official 'office' computer, so-called-boss is next door checking orkut scraps from some shady anjali..he asking what he should reply, to 'wasup?'

yea, it's like that only over here.

amdp - Starkey IS an alephant name! atleast it's not '*sparkly*' ;)

Anonymous said...

Goodness. Ignorance. Providence. Me. Solution.

Don't trust your computer skills. Please do the needful as specified below.

Login-->Marvel at the shoddy dashboard-->Click on "Settings" next to your blog's name-->Wait for the page to load (at least I have to)--> Marvel again at the numerous confusing tabs-->Go to comments-->Just don't hang around. Click on it-->Now. YOU have loads of things to do here. Listen up.

Who can comment - Anyone. Trust me. Anonymous ones are the most fun. This, I think, you have managed.

Scroll. Scroll. Down ofcourse.

Enable Comment Moderation - NO

Show word verification - BIG NO

Show Profile Images - Tumhari marzi

That's about it. Huff puff. Ok say it. Say I am the savior.

Oh already?

Thanks!

man in painting said...

Very different style of reading.It took a lot of time for me to complete it.( i am new to this language)But that was worthy...
If you get time please visit my blog..

El said...

you're quite something eh?

thanks muchly, always thought the weird slanting word thing was a pain.

*waits impatiently for comment spam*

a million different people said...

No comments enabled for the latest post?

El said...

aiyo, doing doing..

Anonymous said...

alexander n xerxes... u never told me... oh no... u did... damn nice names! i'd like them i think... n i usually dont like little boys.. hey maybe they'll like football!

Anonymous said...

oh n id name my horsie dancer... after dancer maitland and rockstar after RCBs horse... no points for guessing who it is now.. crud.

El said...

if it isn't my ol gvc buddy..