Thursday, May 15, 2008

Is someone getting thebestthebestthebestthebest of you?

Aieyaieyaie, the ides of May are here and didn't even notice, it's not been a very good week for the world has it, what with the cyclone in Burma killing more people than my head can understand to count, and the Jaipur thing, and the earthquake in China. Mostly this stuff doesn't affect one, like keep the TV off for a couple of days and don't read the paper, you wouldn't even know. And even if you do know, it's just a shake of the head and tsk tsk, but it's been prickling me, maybe I have too much time on my hands and I'm thinking of all the things I should've done and how at the end of the day - I don't have a shred of integrity left - my internet usage being a direct example.

Anyway, onto happier stuff, Two Caravans was excellent, a book I'd dare to recommend, makes light of really serious heartbreaking stuff and you're laughing all the way till you realise - dude this is no laughing matter. It's also a little bit of a love story, which is very well written and has plenty of awww moments.

Found The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which I had been looking for everywhere. I'd heard so-so much about it and I'd keep asking for it and they'd go Oscar Wilde?, no no Wao, as in Wow. But the thing is, I don't like it that much and I'm well into it by now. The TIME review says it's an immigrant family saga for people who don't read immigrant-family sagas, know what? I'm a person who does like to read family sags, infact that was my favourite genre from 2003-06. So, it's language is very street, piece of ass and nigger and all that, sure there's art in there, just missing it, reminded me of Londonstani - that book which was written in sms language by that punju dude - Gautam Malkani, kiddah bro and what not. Also there's these side notes which are quite funny and super detailed about stuff that went on unger Trujillo's rule in the Dominican Republic which are insightful but so bloody long that you lose the thread of the nararative.

Edit - Just kept reading and before I knew it the book was finished and every single character had won me over, so guess they were right after all. Though I must point out that throughout the book you're wondering why Oscar dies, because of A. the title, 'brief' life but also B. there are plenty of referneces in the book, like Oscar did this in his last few days, after Oscar died etc etc.

So there's a suicide attempt, which is written in real time so you think this is it, but no, he survives. Then there's a bashing my the love of his life's boyfriend and you think, THIS is it - he dies for love, but no, and then it sort of dwindles into predictability that last bit, because he comes back for the love he couldn't have and quite literally walks to his death because he knows and we know, the boyfriend's going to knock him out anytime and he does just that. But, he gets what he wanted, to be loved by a woman and ofcuorse, the sex for the first and last time in his life.

Ha, that was the only thing that I wasn't fully convinced about, but other than that, glad I read it. For starters I knew jack nothing about the DR, except for its capital. Didn't even know there was a dictator called Trujillo.

Anyway, enough book talk, today I have just been going from one Vet to another, because Buddy's due for his deworming injections etc etc. Plus, we're all off to Manali next week and we need to figure out where he's going to stay. Usually my grandparents oblige, but this time they're being a bit fussy. So tomorrow we're going to their place to try and patao them.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Perakath said...

Chabao their brains, you mean.

El said...

hehe, something like that.

a million different people said...

Manali is awesome. There's just so much you can do. Have fun!