Saturday, May 3, 2008

I am the Eggman, I am the Walrus, goo goo gjoob

I borrowed just one book from him though we talked of hundred others.

There were lots of people standing in the balcony, some sitting on the railing, talking of this and that, it was an Ed Board meeting which turned into a Film Soc(iety) meeting. People were milling around, what to do now, lets go eat, where, here no there etc etc. He (who we shall call Van) said, I've been reading this book Travels with Herodotus by this Polish guy, Ryszard Kapuscinski (yea, don't even try pronouncing it) it's really good, you should read it. Everyone else is kinda quiet because well, they listen when he talks. It's this huge big circle but he's looking directly at me even though the conversation was a general one to begin with and me with shiny eyes, Sounds cool, can I borrow it sometime? Yup, then the rest of the adoring girls start off with the let's go, let's go and they walk off. But he got it for me the next day.

I thought it'd be really hard to read considering its a) Non Fiction and b) Translated - two of my complete no-nos. :shakes head: But it was surprisingly quite readable(relief.) It's split up into chapters according to the places he's been to so you can read them in any old order. Apparently he was this hands on journalist sorta dude who travels all over the world and is insightful in ways you least expect him to be. Herodotus ofcourse is an ancient greek who was one of the first infact the first traveller of the known world who chronicled his adventures. So basically Ryszard travels all over from Libya to Persia to Benaras and what not and he takes Herodotus with him and kinda sees the world thorugh the prism of his teachings.

Then, for my happy birthday he gave me Zorba the Greek, he'd told me about it earlier and how much he liked it, and written inside was - 'To the embarrassed Birthday Girl, hope you enjoy it as much as I did' this might seem like an innocent thing but it so. is. not. His coming was the reason I was really excited about the party and the reason I couldn't sleep that night, I was on such a high.

And I just know like Ryszard carried Herodotus with him everywhere, Zorba will be my Herodotus, It'll go wherever I go and I'll know it backwards and forwards. I have a feeling he(Van) and me will be great friends because we really are very alike and I can think of ten thousand things to say to him and counting.

If only there wasn't that other girl.

And if only I had some balls.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Herodotus and the art of noticing.

Herodotus,was like the greek god of reporting. Fully aware of how many cultures there were on Earth. He was eager to become acquainted with all of them. May be Van needs to be acquainted to you.

Why? Just Herodotus best way to learn about you is by familiarizing himself with you.

Now all you need to do is get noticed beyond the point that he gifts you books filled with greek symbolism.

And if the spirit of Herodotus is alive in Van he will.

I'm sounding especially precocious today. Apologies.

a million different people said...

First things first, I heart the Beatles so much you don't even know.

And, there's always the other girl. X(

I think it's great that you have some common ground established. Some knowing. I hope this swings upwards, and I'm guessing you want it to. :P

Perakath said...

Don't share your involvees!

El said...

o it's you the huzon guy, thanks for stopping by :) and yup, that's what it says in the book as well, that more than actually traveling he COLLEcted whatever was known and put it in one place. ~the art of noticing~ that shall be on my mind for awhile..

The Beatles were a good band(shakes head) and as far as I'm concerned Sir Paul is dead.