Friday, May 2, 2008

I'll Back You Up

Have you ever hurt yourself really badly? As a kid or otherwise? Not the near fatal disease I'm going to - die write my will variety, more like a whack on the head or break a leg type?

I was learning how to ride my bike, could've been anywhere upwards of 5 and downwards of 7 years old and we stayed in this colony which had two blocks down and a massive uphill, easily at a 50 degree angle and the rest of the blocks in a circle above.

Now my side wheels were removed and there was this batman chappie who was jogging behind me. I made him swear to not let the seat go, and he kept reassuring me from behind, ya ya, I'm holding and I so knew he wasn't but I let it pass (because look, look I was riding without sidewheels!) Anyway after a very successful trip of cycling round and round, instead of taking another chakkar, I took the turn downslope to get home and I don't know if I forgot where the the brakes were or didn't know how to use them or what because I always had trouble starting and stopping (even when I learnt to drive a car, I could NEVER get it to start) and I'm cycling down steadily gaining speed and this guy is running madly behind me but I just couldn't help it and I went smack into a pillar of concrete infront of the garages. Ouch you say? Not really. I had to go get stitches on my head and chin and what not and had this huge scar on my left cheek but all that was ok, I don't remember it hurting as such.

What I do remember is that when we got back from the hospital, I was just lying in bed and I'm sure my dad must've used a few choice words on the bhaiya (because technically he wasn't suppsoed to let me go etc etc) and he was feeling so bad that he came and kneeled next to my bed and said 'gudiya mujhe maaf kar do' and I didn't really know what was going on but I wanted to give him a hug and say dude chill, it was totally my fault and he was feeling so terrible about it that my dad patted him on the back and told him to forget about it.

We were great friends he and I, I used to sit at the back of his cycle and he'd take me all over, and he'd push the swing higher and higher and higher for me.

I wonder where he is now? Rangaya his name was. And did he teach his kids to ride their bikes? And get a few hard knocks then as well?

3 comments:

Nimpipi said...

batman? bhaiiya? -- you're an army brat?!:D waah.

blog headers are being experimented with, i see; fun isn't it. Tip: if using photoshop, crop a pic to about 740 pixels width. fits nice and long, strip like.

Nimpipi said...

oh also, that MUST've hurt. I've got stitches on my head for aping my brother jump!

What can i say, we weren't always this wise:)

El said...

tip duly noted and tucked into corner of brain.

and huzzah! our lot is the best no?

jump of where - like superman off the building or on the bed up and down type?