Friday, August 8, 2008

Suitcase of memories

I believe familiarity is a sign of wealth. Wealth when it comes to life, to living.

A fine lady, would have a regular tailor who knows the exact shape of her body, her trickiest measurements, and doesn’t need to take them over and over. Who notices she shrinks as she grows older, and makes the blouses smaller. To whom she brings her daughter for her first sari blouse.

And a jeweller, from where they make their big buys, once every year or so. Through the latest trends they keep pieces waiting for her but when her son wants to pick out an engagement ring for his girlfriend; she takes him there for the classic diamond knock out.

A man then, will have a banker, who does all the tedious paper work, efficiently, happily. A mechanic, who knocks a couple hundred off the bill after the regular servicing. When his daughter has her first bang-up learning how to drive, he gets angry with her, but they have a little chortle, the mechanic and him, there were many jokes on that one oh there were.

And the other family who's been with them for years and who knows when to get the hot water bottle and the right temperature of tea, who are well looked after and their children seen through school and onto bigger better things. Who’ll mow the garden and plant the flower seeds and take care of the dogs when they go out of town.

As they grow older, this fine lady and gentleman, they’ll need their old doctor of course. Who’ll listen with gentle patience to them, who’s delivered their kids and is now old himself. So he refers them to better, younger doctors but they go back to him for a last and final opinion.

They walk into Blue Diamond. He nods at the tabla player, a namastey; the next song is his favourite ghazal. Somewhere else in the city, at a nightclub, their son nods at the DJ and shakes hands with the bartender. A bartender who knows his drink and in the thickest crowd will get to him first.

A bookstore then for me, a perfect one which I’ll love with all my heart. Placed somewhere to bring in minimum of tourist traffic, a place where you can sit and read and not pay. I know there’s a store out there that’s just waiting for me to walk into it.

You can say familiarity is a step away from boredom, from the same old same old, but I’ll take it any day.

There are other things to experiment with, newer things to try out - like brand of cigarettes, and shampoos maybe but not hairstyles. Everything art related. Every place in the world. For that I have my muddy travelling boots under the armchair, but everything else I like in its own place.

14 comments:

Thanatos said...

Posted at 8:08 PM? Haha nice.

Neat post, I agree. I remember all the bartenders in the bar knew it was my B'day because they'd seen my ID so many times :D

I met this bartender in a town I was visiting once. Ordered Glenlivet 18 yrs and he messed the order by giving us Macallen 18 - better but not what we ordered (and a lot more expensive). When I pointed that out he gave us the drinks at the price of the Glenlivets. He asked me to come back the next day, and gave us some Glenmorangie Nectar D'or - it was heaven on earth!

Thanatos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thanatos said...

Ah, and he also gave us 25 yr old Irish whiskey on the house just because he'd never seen such interest from someone in our age group :D

Amdp will rag me for bragging, but meh :D

Perakath said...

Haha little girl... they're just numbers. Nice post. My parents have lots of such people; I have only my chowkidars, my Gupta stores, and my college office people.

Your ClustrMap is quite impressive, btw! Wish Wordpress had the same.

Are you ever going to look me up on Facebook?

Thanatos: Having to show my ID repeatedly in the same bar is the sort of thing that annoys me no end. Just yesterday the library staff asked me for ID: as if they've never seen me before.

Perakath said...

Oh gosh... The first thing I did after commenting was look back down at today's ToI, and p. 16 has a story on the date!

El said...

@ thantos - whew, not braggin, am duly impressed. Which town were you visitng incidentally? Don't be modest, go on say it :D

@ pera - but I don't even know your real name! Though I think it's...drumroll, Aditya?

Thanatos said...

That's the fist time modesty and my name have appeared in the same context. Yaay!
Town was Aspen, Colorado. Boy, I need a drink...

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Refreshing. Nice.

First post in several months that I could associate with instantly. Thankyou for bringing this up.

Perakath said...

Aspen is indelibly associated with Dumb and Dumber in my head.

Anonymous said...

I have a problem. Why no food in the post?

The golguppa wala who gives you an extra sookha one because "aap to regular customer hain ji". (Well, he said it only once. It plays in my head though, every time I get the extra (or two).)

Thanatos >> So where did modesty and your name appear in the same context? Stop showing off. And stop showing off that you're not showing off. Pfeh.

El said...

Aspen is so hollywood, brings to mind romantic type ski setting.

@ Pera - now who's avoiding the question?

@ Marvin - now that I think about it, it seems like you would, am most humbled :D

El said...

@ amdp - food! Well, Blue Diamond is this fancy hotel in Pune, and was sorta implying the restaurant there, you're right waise..Bhel Uncle outside college is one of the people I'll recognise on my deathbed.

Perakath said...

I didn't deny it, did I? :)

Arjun Sharma said...

Yes, we have the chat gentlemen who'll feed the extra ones every time. And say "Pay next time, it's ok." Who we started going to after every exam in engineering and haven't stopped. Who I miss more than my friends(except one or two), though that's perhaps wrong to say.