Monday, April 28, 2008

Jane Says

I'm currently reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being(TULB) by Milan Kundera, bought it on friday and should be done with it by today/tomorrow but I thought I'd tell you about it before I finish, because once the last page is turned, it becomes just another book sitting quietly on the bookshelf and this book SO isn't.

First off, it clocks in high on the list of 'Surprisingly Easy to Read' books, I thought it would be a difficult(but ultimately rewarding) book to read, like Emma, that one I really had to plough through, though once the ball gets rolling it much easier, I took forever to read that one, but yea, duh, I loved it. Ok maybe not love but I'm glad I read it.

A thought if I may -

Even though Emma is the better novel, better crafted, much longer and probably Jane Austen's jewel in the crown, Pride and Prejudice is ten thousand times more popular. Why? Because anyone who reads both, is going to find Elizabeth a far, far better a book friend and character than Emma, Because she reads and is smart in an understated way lalala, and love comes to her just like that but Emma is spoilt and playful and rich and maybe a little bit of a snob and sure her heart is in the right place, but the more appealing one for someone who's read both of them is going to be Lizzie by and large. Maybe someone who hasn't read them and is just told the story or seen the films would like Emma better, you see what I mean? It has everything to do with 'reader type people'.

Anyway, TULB is told so simply and in such a straightforward manner and it has mind blowing insights on almost every other page which really make you think, the last serious literary type book I read that was this *wow* was Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, anyone read it?

Oh funny story here, my freind pi's in Bombay and refuses to email or get a facebook account so we must 'orkut'(sigh), so I generally left her a scrap saying lala, this book Middlesex is really good etc etc and her boyfriend in KENT OHIO people saw the scrap and FedExed the book over as a pre valentine day gift, crazy or what? and inside he'd written 'On someones Recommendation' and the best part was that she herself hadn't read the scrap. joy. But she loved the book when she read it, and ofcourse loved him much more so :D

5 comments:

Perakath said...

People in Ohio use Orkut??

El said...

apparently!

though he's an Indian amchi bombay boy working there, so kinda not the same thing.

Perakath said...

Very much not the same thing :)

Anonymous said...

Lightness is amazing... the movie is a-okay.......

Yes, we all love Lizzie!

Anonymous said...

Middlesex was, shall we say, interesting: it's a good read, but fails one condition I have for great books: I can't imagine reading it again.