Saturday, April 26, 2008

Free Falling

Ah Exams over!

You would think this feeling gets old, but it doesn't, not a snowballs shot in hell, it's priceless this excitement over the empty empty summer months stretching ahead, full so full of watermelons and cool cooler air wafting from under the front door and swimming and the pitcher of nimbupani permanently in the fridge. The day before I was so nervous, I thought my brain would burst and while studying I kept thinking of what I'd do after they got over, so as a guilty, the world will equal things out way I expected the paper would go horribly which it didn't.

It went ok.

After that we went to Khan for the usual hogging, ate like deprived kids who'd just finished with their exams! and behaved most rowdily at the five eating places we stopped at. (Big Chill, duh, Barista, CCD, Market Cafe and because I'm not that kind of a person, Cafe Turtle).

Anywho, after all the eating, when I was turning out of the market this Innova comes rushing from the left and dang, I hear a noise and I look to see my rearview mirror hanging by this springy wire type thing! To be fair, I was in the right lane when this car sped by on the right and sort of pushed me onto the left lane so maybe, partially, I'll admit it was my fault, a teeny bit BUT becasue he was going so fast his car got hit bad. I barely registered what happened, and you know "On Delhi roads these bumps keep happening", so I keept driving but then he honked and waved and pointed and stopped and all that.

Me: Sitting in the car, honest to God not nervous, deciding to be a girl and be all sorry uncle galti ho gayee (this was because when I got pulled for overspeeding last month and actually shelled out nine hundred freaking bucks, I got laughed at for actually paying up, apparently you're supposed to act like you're going to start crying any moment or give them half the challan or something)

Big massive driver person gets out of big massive innova, examines dent, strides over: Kya kare Madam?

Me: (typing in english because I just cannot do the hindi version) Alternating between the indignant, it's your fault too and the other pushed me onto the left lane and the meek, sorry, let's forget it shall we?

He: I've been driving this car for 12 years and nothing like this has ever happened yada yada.

Me: Really? 12 years? Was the Innova even on the road in 1996?(didn't actually say it, but that's the first thing that came to my mind)

He: Aap batao, Nahin to hum police complaint karenge.

Me: Oh oh oh, I'll file the complaint before you. (or something to that effect)

He(menacing look): Wait karo, and he starts calling people.

Then looks at me(takes me into his confidence), Don't worry, nothing'll happen, the thing is that it's not my car no, if it was it wouldn't be a problem.

Me: As if!

He: Another call and then another.

Me: ho hum. look at the road, check my reflection etc etc.

He: Don't worry. (now, much more reassuringly)

Me: yawn.

He: ok give me your number, it's ok you go.

Ha! Anticlimax or what? Truth is, it could've been worse and he could've been a meanie so I'm not complaining really.

Other than that, you know what I don't like?People who don't reply to mails. I write to my sister often(cuz) and I know she's super busy travelling and working 14 hours a day and all that but still dash me a one line NON GENERAL mail once in awhile, especially when I've dished personal stuff and blabbered on, is a reply to much to expect?

All is forgiven though cause she got me a nice bright super swanky blue ipod which I Luhuhove and is only my lifeline as the train snakes up, up north into the city and winds its way back down, twice a day, everyday.

She's going to be here next weekend though so yaay!

4 comments:

Perakath said...

Did you give him your number? I'd like to see someone try and ask me for money after an accident. I'd laugh in his face, say, "Take all I have!" and shove off, leaving him with his soiled ten-buck note. Maybe quote some MV Act provisions at him too.

Nimpipi said...

o hey! El, it is, and you started blogging.. and banging into cars at khan already.heh.wow.

But happy blog inaugural, keep at it, its easy. Just be a little more careful on the road, perhaps.

El said...

I swear dude, when it comes down to it though, we're so freaking lawless (pun)

and oh nimpipi! i always think of pipilongstocking whenever I see your name and a jumpy freckled girl comes to mind. i'm guessing you don't actually have two swinging pigtails, no? thought as mcuh..

Anil P said...

:)